Monday, January 25, 2010

Figure Skating US Nationals Olympic SendOff

Sasha Cohen signed my book. I was delighted with her contribution and participation at the U.S. Figure Skating National Championships in Spokane, WA over the past ten days. After the Senior Lady's Final, with 24 women competing (I think 2 withdrew, 22 skating Saturday night), those with the highest score, the 'top four,' stood in front of me, facing away for a photograph, after receiving their medals, flowers, official-pics taken. All four were the exact same height. Identical height. I think it's about the physics. These are petite women. Perhaps only that physiognomy is capable of it? Or, perhaps it's what the evolution-of-judging has produced? That would be a fascinating discussion in itself, wouldn't it?

During their Victory Lap, I stood at the edge of the ice, hand extended, giving the congratulatory hand-slap as they skated by, smiling. I am so amazed, awed, proud of them all. This competition was so good -- so outstanding. So much excitement. So much skill. These skaters are doing more now than ever before in the history of the sport. The demands, the skill-level-sets, the figurative 'bar' raising, perhaps more now than ever. There are concerns in that, about that. But it's amazing, nonetheless. Where's it's developed into -- from -- becoming, the history of the sport and competition.

I saw three of the most beautiful, outstanding competitive skates ever, of my entire life, this competition. This particular US Figure Skating National Competition -- had three of the best competitive-skates, performances by competitors, that I have ever witnessed in my life. I'll get back to the Senior Ladies in a moment, but the first 'best competitive-skate' I've ever seen in my life was during the Senior Ice Dancing Finals. And the competitors, a team from Michigan, didn't win. But that doesn't detract from the level of beauty they shared. It was Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein. They danced on ice so wonderfully, their musical selection and coreography so outstanding, and their costumes appropriate and significant. It brought me to my feet and a tear of joy to my eyes.

That isn't to say I think less of the winners of the Senior Ice Dance, Meryl Davis and Charlie White. I am in awe of them as well. I saw Charlie White at the Davenport Hotel, in the lobby that night. I gave him a slight bow in courtesy and respect. I feel uncomfortable talking with competitors, as everybody wants to -- and they need time-away, a rest. If a conversation were started by one, I'd gladly participate, but I'm not about to inflict more burdens on them. Especially in their 'home-away-from-home,' their hotels, motels, which are their temporary but private bedrooms.

During the Senior Ice Dance competition, I was amazed and delighted over and over. Lynn Kriengkrairut wore a daffodil dress, the color and flower one of my personal favorites, and skated with her partner, Logan Giulietti-Schmitt with ever-growing skill. Although they didn't win a medal, they're winners. The value of their participation must never be downgraded.

The Hubbell's brought a delightful program to the competition. Madison Hubbell and Kieffer Hubbell skated with exceptional symmetry in their coreographed, simultaneous spins, something that NONE of the Novice nor Junior Pairs nor ice-dancers accomplished at competition, and the winners of this particular event, I should add, tried very hard to avoid doing at all. When I see two skaters, pairs or dance, side by side, spinning simultenaously, timed together, even if only one rotation is close to being exactly together, I applaud -- it's THAT HARD TO DO IT. Perhaps the most difficult thing pairs and ice-dancers do. At the end of their competitive performance, they added a highly memorable maneuver, where he layed-back against her, skating backwards, his head on her knees -- unusual, beautiful, significant, and I'll never forget it. It's hard to describe it -- to witness it will forever be one of the most significant parts of my memories about this competition, forever.

They, the Hubbell's, also had one of the prettiest coaches. I put that in my notes during the competition. I'm not sure if that was Pasquale Camerlegno, Angelika Krylova, Elizabeth Swallow, or Natalia Deller, but she was wearing white jacket during the 'show and cry' session receiving scores, and, well, I delight in beauty. Everybody has theirs -- and at times, 'eye-of-beholder,' it's noticed and respected by others.


Shannon Wingle and Timothy McKernan also did outstanding rotations, spinning n-sync and doing it very, very well. An unusual and significant feature in their coreography was alternate arms raised with each rotation, adding to the visual appeal, and proving the precision-level of the symmetry. It was outstanding, and once again, the difficulty of it is not lost on my for one moment. I was in awe of it. I'll never forget it.

I mixed-up my notes there -- eyes riveted on the competitors, and writing notes next to the wrong names. Perhaps it was Katie Wyble and Justin Morrow? Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates? Good heavens -- I should have taken a key-board and typed it while watching, eh? Or spoken into a recorder and dictated later. Perhaps next time.

I was delighted with the skating of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. It's the second time in my life I've had the pleasure to see them skate. These, as well as Davis and White, are the fabulous ice-dancing partners featured in the news and magazines and videos whenever ice-dancing is mentioned, regardless of context. It must appear as though these two teams have a psuedo monopoly on the event. Perhaps it's time for some 'new blood'? Not to devalue their own, mind you.

I'll never tire of the competitions, the pairs skating, ice dancing, mens and womens' figure skating. It should be a subsidized sport and competition, one of the most beautiful, and difficult of all disciplines, one of the hardest things humans can possibly due, contributing to so many other things, including sports medicine and health disciplines, science, education, technology, art and music and dance -- it impacts so much, in so many ways, the value itself often taken for-granted.

To be a judge would have been terribly frustrating. I had already determined my favorite based on how they skate, not whether or not it was technically more 'accurate' -- but their overall contribution to the sport and competition itself. The value of their participation impacts everyone, all other competitors, men or women. It's not about 'looks' and it's not about being a 'robot' that is fakes 'perfect.'

During the Senior Ladies Victory Lap, as 2nd place winner Marai Nagasu approached, juggling a trophy and flowers and medal, I had my camera in one hand, my other extended to give a congratulatory hand-slip with her. As she approached, I clicked a picture, slapping her hand as she skated by. You have no idea how much energy she has. How she shares it -- she just glows -- a radiance of joy and inspiration. This young woman is now on her way to the Olympics, an ambassador of this country, the best of the best, along with Rachael Flatt (1st place winner). This is what this country has to offer -- and anybody not aware of it, not proud of it, is clearly lacking a soul.

Again, the Arena was empty during the medals ceremony for some of the youngest winners at the highest skill-level ever in the history of figure skating -- our own 'officials,' be it from the city of Spokane, the County of Spokane, the State of Washington or nearby State of Idaho, or the United States government, none had the decency nor respect to honor these CHAMPIONS, the future of the sport whose talents contribute to every other sport, technology and healthcare. Therefore, I unofficially OFFICIALLY designated myself THE GOVERNMENT to witness their wins, their defeats, their medals decoration, slapped their hands in congratulations during their Victory Laps -- of the people by the people -- (expect phone calls, letters, emails from lag-behind photo-op'g Administrators/legislators later -- some raced to it after my comments about their failure to attend it the first weekend) -- AND I THANK YOU one and all for your contributions, for your accomplishments, none are losers -- thank you for what you have shared. Thank you.

I salute you, one and all.

Peace be with you.

Kind Regards,
Clayton Leon Winton (HumanityFamilyAdvocate/3Ons)

No comments: